About Us

The City of Stirling manages a collection of artworks in various media from Western Australian artists and maintains a variety of public artworks for the enjoyment of residents.

More information can be found on the City's website.


The City of Stirling began as the Perth Road Board in 1871, with an area of over 250 square miles. It became the Shire of Perth in 1961 and the City of Stirling in 1971.

February 1871 marks the date of the first Perth Road Board meeting, where eligible landowners voted in the first Board members. This Board had the responsibility for roads within a 225 square mile area, including much of the current Wanneroo and Joondalup municipalities. The first major road to be cleared and established as a plank road was the current Wanneroo Road. Roads took up most of the time and expenditure of the Board for the first 20 years.

Today the City of Stirling has a population of over 223,000 and a rich, diverse natural and physical landscape covering approximately 104 sq km comprising 30 suburbs, from Railway Parade, Mount Lawley in the east, to Scarborough, Trigg, North Beach and Watermans Bay in the west.